Avocado also known as avocado pear or alligator pear, is botanically a large berry containing a single large seeds. Avocados are grown in tropical and Mediterranean climate.
Depending on the variety of avocado, the colour of a ripe avocado can range from green to dark green to black. Avocados have a tough smooth (slightly bumpy) skin which clings to the inner flesh. Avocado flesh, high in healthy fat and protein, is creamy in flavor and has a slightly fibrous texture.
Average length of an avocado is 10 -15 cm (4-6 inches). Average weight of an avocado is 150 – 200 gram (5 – 7 ounces or 0.33 – 044 pounds).
Scientific name of Avocado
Other names of Avocado
- Alligator pear
- Avocado pear
- Butter fruit
Nutrition facts of Avocado
*Serving size = 100 grams = 3.55 Ounces = 1/2 cup
*DV= % Daily Value (%DV indicates how much nutrients contribute to a person’s daily diet from a serving of a food. DV assists you in determining whether or not a serving of food is high or low in a particular nutrient.)
Calories by source in Avocado:
- Calories by carbohydrate in Avocado = 19%
- Calories by fat in Avocado = 5%
- Calories by protein in Avocado = 76%
Fats and Fatty Acid profile of Avocado:
- Polyunsaturated fat (PUFA) in Avocado = 13%
- Saturated fat (SFA) in Avocado = 15%
- Monounsaturated fat (MUFA) in Avocado = 71%
Detailed vitamin profile of Avocado, vitamin A, vitamin B12, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin D, Folate, Niacin, Thiamin, and Riboflavin is shown in the chart at the end of the article.
Detailed mineral profile of Avocado, Sodium(Na), Calcium(Ca), Copper(Cu), Iron(Fe), Magnesium(Mg), Selenium(Se), Phosphorus(P), Potassium(K) and Zinc(Zn) is shown the chart at the end of the article.
Check freshness in Avocado
- Unripe avocado is bright green and very hard
- Ripe avocado is dark green in colour and relatively soft
- Pull the stem of the avocado, if it comes of the avocado then its ripe and ready to eat
- Avoid an avocado if its stem does not come off with a gentle tug (you can store such avocado for 3-4 days to ripen depdning on the fruits condition)
- If the stem of the avocado is already removed and there is a dark brown colouring under it, it means the avocado is over ripe.
- Fresh ripe avocados will have green spot under the stem
- You can also wrap the unripe green avocado in aluminum foil and place it in oven at 200 degree Fahrenheit (93 degree Celsius) for about 10 minutes. This will quicken the ripening process.
Availability of Avocado
- Generally avocado is available round the year
How to store Avocado
- Ripe avocado can be stored at room temperature for a day or two
- Unripe avocado can be stored at room temperature for 3-4 days until it ripens
- Ripe avocado can be stored in refrigerator for 2-3 days
- Whole ripe avocados can be stored in freezer in freezer bag or container for up-to six months
- You can squeeze some lemon juice over the cut portion of avocado to prevent it from browning
- You can also submerge the avocado in water in a container to prevent it from browning
- Placing the cut and exposed portion of avocado facing down on the plate or container when storing also prevents it from browning
Complete nutrition facts of Avocado
Click on the link HERE to download high quality, high resolution and print ready PDF version of the Avocado nutrition chart/infographic.